1) First, do keyword research for the blog topic/subject. Finding popular keywords related to your blog or your post topic is a must. You will need at least 2-3 keywords in the blog title and around 10 keywords for post titles to start with.
2) naturally try to use the keywords in the domain name, blog title, post title, post content, hyperlink, ALT tag, TITLE tag, etc. This will help you to get a higher search engine ranking.
3) Try to limit no. of your labels/categories to around 20. Use the tag cloud or label cloud if you want to save space. If you have many topics on one blog, try to regroup and relabel. If totally different topics are mixed on one blog and have sufficient posts for each topic, start a new blog for that topic.
You can get penalized for duplicate content. 4) Do not copy old posts of a blog on the new blog. You need to remove the old copy from the search engine and add the same post to the new blog.
WordPress bloggers can use plugins like All in one SEO for meta tag and title optimization. 5) Use the post title optimization widget on this blog for Blogger / Blogspot blog so that you get a better search engine ranking. Following are blogging tips related to looking and content of the blog.
READ MORE :
- SEO Tips to Get You Higher Yahoo and Google Listings
- Tips to Get Your WordPress Blog Ranking Highly in the Search Engines
- Easy Blogging Tips for Beginners in a Complicated Cyberspace
- Mobile Internet Services For Inter City Train Passengers
- Choosing the Best Desktop Computer For You
6) The look and layout of the blog should be nice, neat, and beautiful to create a good impression on the visitor, and he should feel to stay more and visit again. Content quality should also be good for this.
7) Navigation and layout should be such that visitors can easily find the recent posts and labels. So if Recent posts and Labels are near the top of the sidebar, they will be visible on the first screen of the blog, and the visitor will have a quick idea of what the blog is about and can jump to his topic of interest quickly.
Do picture/image optimization as described in my earlier post. 8) Use pictures, images wherever possible to make your post colorful and attractive. No need to use large images; you can use medium to small images.
9) Loading time of the blog should not be very long, or visitors will run away before the page opens. So keep a check on what widgets/code you are installing and does it slows down the loading. If you are loading pictures, make sure that the file size is not big.
Do not use BMP files; you can use jpg, png files. Also, check the image size. You can do all this using photoshop. As sometimes images load slower from external sources, check that also.
Blogging tips related to writing and visitors
Do not write too long. 10) Write your post after proper research and gathering total information. Use grouping, paragraph, subtitling for arranging the information in the post body.
11) Writing language should be easy to understand, and wherever possible, write humorously. If a visitor enjoys your post, he will come back.
12) Give links to useful resources related to your topic. Also, give links to your earlier posts with proper anchor text wherever possible. This improves the internal linking of your blog.
13) Encourage the reader to participate/comment. You can also run some contests or surveys on your blog and keep some prizes for that.
14) Use a beautiful and professional-looking theme/template and header image for your blog. There are many free templates available, so you can easily get one suitable for your blog. Choose 3 column template which uses full 1024 X 768 resolution. This gives you more space.
15) The font color and size should be such that the blog should be readable in different screen resolutions—other blogging tips to increase readers and revenue.
16) Burn your feed at Feedburner and provide subscribe via email facility to your RSS feed.
17) Check your blog visibility and feed in a different browser, especially in internet explorer and Firefox.
18) Try to increase your RSS feed subscriber and use AdSense to display Google AdSense on the feed.
Use AdSense link unit with labels or links or below the header. 19) Use Google AdSense or other advertisements in the post body, right-hand sidebar, and below the header. Match background color of AdSense with blog or post background color.
20) Read my post on blog traffic tips to build traffic from sources other than a search engine.
Following are precautionary blogging tips.
Remove unnecessary outgoing links. 21) There should not be many outgoing links (pointing to other websites/blogs) in the post or sidebar. Place all outgoing links near the bottom of the right-hand sidebar or footer.
22 ) Do not buy or sell links for link building.
23) If paid posts are a must for you, keep them to the minimum or have a separate website/blog for paid posts or articles.
24) As said above, do not write the same post again ( duplicate content ). Do not edit old post titles and content for search engine optimization.
25) Do not have METATAGS only for the main home URL of the blogger blog, as it will be used for all the posts, and you will get duplicate metatag error in Google webmaster tools. You are also misguiding and confusing search engines by having the same meta tag for all posts. So you can use a script/widget, which can give different METATAGS to individual posts. WordPress bloggers can have METATAG for an individual post by using an in one SEO plug-in.