It’s been over seven months since stay-at-home orders were enacted in states across the country. And even though many areas have eased their quarantine restrictions a bit, it’s still strongly recommended to avoid going out and steer clear of any mass gatherings. This is because the virus that causes COVID-19 can easily be spread through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs, sneezes, and talks. A person can have it and not experience any symptoms, too. This means that people can spread it without even realizing it, especially if they’re not wearing masks. And as of 2020, there’s no proven vaccine or cure for COVID-19 just yet.
Now that the holidays are just around the corner, staying at home seems so drab. And after half a year, you’ve probably gone through every indoor activity. So, how can you have a fun vacation while staying safe during this pandemic?
Have a Fun Staycation
This half of the year seems like a staycation gone wrong. Every day feels the same, you’re buried with work in your own personal space, and the Netflix binges just aren’t doing the trick anymore. And you’re not alone; a lot of workers have been feeling stress-induced fatigue during this lockdown. How can you escape the stress of work and modern life when it’s followed you home? Here are some fun indoor activities to try out.
- Enjoy the Outdoors from Your Backyard — Being in the presence of nature has various benefits for your physical and mental health. Green spaces, like a backyard filled with grass, shrubs, and trees, can help boost your mood and alleviate stress. Set up a tent and make a charcuterie board to share with your loved ones. Enjoy the fresh and cold air and gaze at the stars at night. And if it gets too cold, bust out the old fire pit for warmth and roasted marshmallows. Even if it’s just in your backyard, camping out is always fun when you’re with the right people.
- Have a Fancy Dinner at Home — Even if you don’t have any guests or dates over, you should still treat yourself to a nice and fancy dinner, even if it is at home. Follow a recipe for a dish you’ve always wanted to try at a restaurant. You not only get to taste great food, but you also get to improve your cooking skills. If you’re too tired to cook or afraid of overcooking or undercooking your salmon, order some takeout! A lot of great restaurants these days are offering their best menu items for delivery. Pair them with your favorite liquor, some great music, and you’ve got yourself a relaxing and memorable night.
- Have a Home-based Spa Day — After your dinner, treat yourself even more with a relaxing spa bath. Put your favorite exfoliating mask on, run some warm water, plop in your favorite bath bomb, light up some scented candles, and have yourself a soothing bath. Be in the moment and forget about work and everything that’s been stressing you out.
Safe Outdoor Activities
If you want to go out, you might as well be outside the city and its cramped establishments. Experts recommend going on outdoor activities, as they’re safer than indoor ones. Here are safe activities you can do alone or with loved ones. Air gets to circulate freely, lowering your chances of inhaling droplets from other people, compared to if you were in an indoor environment.
- A Picnic at the Park — If your local park is open, have a nice scenic walk or drive there. Set up for a picnic and enjoy the view. Just make sure you’re at least six feet away from anyone outside your household.
- Fishing Trip — Fishing is a great outdoor activity that’s also safe. You wouldn’t be with anyone else outside your household except for your instructor if you hired one. The next time you schedule an all-inclusive Alaska vacation, make sure this activity is part of it. Being in the middle of the lake or sea keeps you unplugged from your stressful responsibilities at home. Plus, you can get quite the workout reeling in your catches.
Even if you’ve been mostly at home for the good half of this year, you still need a vacation. Use these suggestions to make sure you unwind and relax during your time off. You won’t regret anything when you get back to your hustle with a refreshed mind, body, and soul.